In addition to the changing landscape in the workplace, the economy, and our cultural institutions, the covid pandemic has brought a sea change to the way we do entertainment. Outdoor activities are rising in popularity and people are getting creative (even in colder climates) to host their special events outside to avoid covid contingencies and give people some peace of mind.
Porta-Potties love the outdoors. And they want to be part of your outdoor adventure. Here’s how.
The Rise of Outdoor Events and Activities During the Pandemic
Data from the National Park Service reveals just how much outdoor activities increased in the past year. According to their numbers, visits to Acadia National Park in Maine went up 74% from April/May of 2019 to April/May 2021. In Utah, for example, visits were up 30% around that same period.
The Outdoor Participation Trends Report revealed that in 2020, 53% of Americans above the age of 6 participated in at least one outdoor recreation event. This is the highest participation on record.
The Health Benefits of Stepping Outside
It’s no secret that we spend a lot of our time indoors, and most of that time—to boot— is spent in front of screens, phones, or other electronic devices. The commonly cited number was that people spend up to 90% of their lives indoors. One study followed 16,000 people across 14 different countries in Europe and America to track just how little people realize that most of their lives are spent inside. Survey respondents had the perception that they spent two-thirds of their time inside, but the number was considerably higher. Research showed that the number was more like 22 out of 24 hours spent inside. Some are calling this the indoor generation, but it seems that covid may have put a wrench on that.
Harvard Health outlines several reasons why outdoor activities are beneficial for your health:
- Increase Vitamin D. Vitamin D serves important functions in the body and, according to some estimates, 41.6 % of adults are deficient. In Hispanic populations, that number goes up 69.2% and 82.1% in African American adults. This is a problem, as Vitamin D serves many unique functions including preventing bone loss, cancer prevention, depression, type 2 diabetes, helping with cardiovascular disease, and much more.
- Improved mood. The outdoors makes people happier. It’s in our nature. Natural light elevates people’s moods. It’s been shown that outdoor activities lighten things up, get people moving and more active, and therefore enhance mood. Once outdoors, people tend to be more active, socialize more, etc. So this has cardiovascular benefits as well.
- Better concentration. Have trouble focusing at work? Are your eyes straining from viewing the computer screen? Going outside and taking a break helps people improve their concentration levels and ability to focus.
- Better healing and recovery. This one is a kicker. As cited in the Harvard Health article, research shows that spinal surgery patients reported better outcomes when exposed to natural light. They reported having to take fewer pain medications and less stress. The outdoors seems to have some role in helping people heal, feel more alert, and more.
Types of Outdoor Activities
There is an abundance of options when it comes to outdoor activities. No shortage of what is possible in the outdoors as long as you plan it right. We help with part of the planning, of course, because mother nature calls even while we’re outside. So what kind of outdoor events can benefit from a porta potty?
- Weddings. Nothing like saying those vows under the moonlight. Just because weddings are formal events doesn’t mean they can’t be held outdoors and make use of beautiful weather, sunlight, and trees. Porta-potty trailers can be a great option for these large-scale events.
- Children’s birthday parties. Kids need to run around and socialize. The lockdowns have prevented children from getting together as they are used to. One solution is to encourage outside events that minimize transmission rates. By hosting birthday parties and gatherings outside, children can stay active and interact with their friends. Sarabia’s has special porta potty kids units with fun polka dots to keep the party spirit.
- Concerts. In previous posts, we’ve covered the amazing partnership between outdoor concert venues and portable toilets. This great friendship keeps going, as musicians and performers find that outdoor venues are a great choice for continuing tours and maintaining their connection with their fans.
- Expos and community events. Other outdoor events like expos, gun shows, and even community events like fairs, performances, and much more can benefit from having high-quality portable restrooms. Good facilities make an even run smoother and avoid mishaps.
Keep The Crowd Happy Outdoors with Reliable Portable Restrooms
Are you thinking about hosting outdoor events? The Southwest has plenty of sunshine all year round. There is no better way to keep doing what you love and keep everyone safe. Sarabia’s is part of the movement to get people healthy and outdoors.
And for your porta potty needs? Call Sarabia’s today and learn about our options.